Sunday, February 22, 2009

Friday & Saturday 20-21 February

Friday night was SO much fun!

There was a large get together at the pub Turf where a lot of the study abroad/exchange students could meet and greet. I was really excited to go because I wanted to reunite with some of the people I had met at the Melbourne Welcome. Beforehand I went to my friend Tallie's room and met some of her friends in the same building. I've realized that after constantly meeting new people all the time, I'm slowly getting used to defusing awkward silences and retelling stories that get the most positive responses and help everyone loosen up. After we got to Turf, I bought a jug of Stella for Tallie & Lauren (haha classy I know) and lo'n'behold...I was drunkedy drunk. The best part of the night was that I met a whole bunch of non-American people from my building. There was no initial awkwardness of "Uh, hi I'm only talking to you b/c I was forced into meeting you." They were all super nice :) and welcoming. Um this probably won't come as a surprise but I then went to the dance floor! Huzzah that was so much fun. I was so self-conscious about being a dirty American dancer that I had been holding myself back before but this time I think the alcohol kind of took over. It was a weird feeling because I kind of just went with the music and didn't feel all that pressure to be sexy or whatever b/c Aussies don't look for that exactly. Going out drinking is for socializing and having some fun conversations with your friends. It's not really about getting a random hookup or grinding with the party hottie on the dance floor. I just felt free to dance however I wanted to dance just for myself and I didn't care if there was an audience watching me be crazy. It made me remember how much I like dancing n' doing my own thang ;). It was quite exhilarating!

Something that I was also very happy about was that I met this gay guy on my floor who is such a phenomenal and FUN dancer. Oh man he wore me out and was just so sexay! We are now forever dance partners hee. I kind of let myself be all crazy with him though because it didn't really matter...poor Sunil was all disappointed when he found out that no, I did not take that boy home; haha I find it funny when guys are excited for their girl friends to hook up :P. ANYway, some crazy American (I'm assuming) guy did the typical frat boy move of spontaneously grabbing and trying to sweettalk me whilst grinding and the Aussies I just met pretty much hovered around and got me out of that situation real fast. Thanks for taking care of me even though you knew me for all of 20 minutes!! Although I blame all of the boys in the common room/tv lobby for showing me the movie Jackass and making me like it. Self-respect minus 8063437940 points.

I really really like the people here. Everyone is just so friendly and warm; honestly, the only negative feelings I've gotten are from Americans. Maybe it's just b/c some people are shy being in a new place, but I feel like them being cut off and withdrawn defeats the whole purpose of going abroad! IF you feel awkward, you should be reaching out and putting yourself in some not-so-easy situations. That's the only way you'll grow to like it here! Don't just stick with the few Americans you met at the Melbourne Welcome. The friends you made are so that you can explore the city together. They are not supposed to enable you to isolate yourselves!

On the other hand, I spent today with a few American girls in the building I had met at MW, and they are so interesting and sweet. The conversations we had really changed my perspectives on a lot of things. Never have first impressions been so, so wrong. We talked about relationships, introspection...absolutely awful things that people & them have gone through. I can't go into anything because they're not my experiences to tell, but I can certainly say that by the end of the conversation, I was tremendously sad. I was sad that some atrocities in life, whichI think are so despicable and could never even imagine going through, are commonplace/not unheard of for others. I felt so naive yet thankful that my sheltered childhood had allowed me that naivete. The strength that those two girls have... I don't think I could ever hope to match it. They have my utmost respect. Even though I've just been here a week, I'm already so thankful for just having had the opportunity to meet all my friends here :).

yep I'm a sap. I also miss you and you and you <3.>

Cindy, I am totally winning. Look how many times I have blogged. Score: SweetCheeks 0, HoneyBuns 1.

Everyone, I need to figure out skype times. How often are people free for skyping and when in your time is good?

1 comment:

  1. i have fast wireless at my house and decent wireless at school. so just add me on skype and ring up when you see i'm on!

    love you!

    xo

    skype: see_u_polo68

    ReplyDelete