Friday, February 20, 2009

ho-hum, there is so much to do

Hello again, State Library. I have been visiting you quite a lot these past few days. Although I do not stay long because I am trying to overcome my addiction to my computer, please know that I truly enjoy my time here. I must confess that I am not here for your decor or your vast collection of literature; rather, I am exploiting your generous, albeit slow, offer of free wi-fi. I sit here on your cold hardwood floors writing my memoirs of getting used to this bustling city. As I clatter away, I write about all the HARDCORE!!! fun I've been having. In reality, I seem to vacillate between feeling totally excited and completely overwhelmed. There is so much to do and so much to see that it's intimidating just figuring out where to start.

We had orientation today for the Study Abroad students. I couldn't even imagine having classes! As I sat there, the fear started creeping in again. Because Melbourne is so big and there are so many students, you don't necessarily become BFFs with people right away. You have to find people you can connect with. Who will you have lunch with if your friends are busy? Most of the Aussies already have their groups, why would they feel the need to include you? It's these stupid but persistent questions that slither their way into my mind and totally FUH-REAK me out. Suddenly it's like all the confidence and high hopes you have for the semester go down the crapper. And then you have to remind yourself to fucking suck it up. It's really not all that hard to do considering every time I start feeling a little down, something happens that cheers me right up--like meeting my floor mates :). the rooms/entire facility is kind of craptastic but at least my floor seems awesome haha.

I've got a map of the city tacked up in my room, and I'm slowly putting pins in all the little places/cafes/bars I've been. The only problem is that I seldom remember where exactly I went...But not to worry! I'm working on it. Melbourne is a city made for drunk people. The roads are all perpendicular to each other and the trams all go horizontally along the main horizontal roads. Should you get lost, all you need to do is find Swanston St. or just a friendly Aussie who's always ready to give directions. I'm slowly becoming okay with getting lost (though it's much less disconcerting when you're with someone else). You find little cafes and shops that you try to remember for next time when you have more time to explore, and it has never been more clear that Ithaca just can't compare in terms of culture and THINGS TO DO. You can get anywhere and do anything with at most 15 minutes of travel!

I don't know why, but until today, it had never really occurred to me that I would to do a lot of travelling. I figured, I might go see one or two cities but I want to spend most of my time (as little as there is) in Melbourne. Now, not so much. Great Ocean Road. Barrier Reef. Rock Climbing. Philip Island. I want to go to all of them. Granted I'll probably have to get a job to fund all of these doubtlessly amazing trips, but we're already planning some weekend getaways. I have 2 weeks free for Easter holiday...I don't even know how many places I'll visit then. :O :O :O yesss that is jealousy you are feeling :)

anyway! i don't have internet very often and the internet that i will eventually be paying for is VERRYYY limited as it is quite the money gobbler. that said, i probably won't be commenting much on blogs or facebook though I'll try to read people's blogs as much as possible! i hope you are all having a WONDERFUL time wherever you are :D!!! really, i miss you guys and think of you lovelies all the time :). The only other thing I miss about Cornell is the feeling of not being confused aka any kind of familiarity ahahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment