Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Monday 16th February

Monday 16th February

Today we all went to the beach and got surfing lessons. We left Uni around 745 AM (which was HELL to wake up for considering I went to a pub the night before sighhhh). On the bus over, we watched this Aussie tv show called Summer Heights High. Hi-fucking-LARIOUS, oh my god. The show is about 3 characters at one high school: a drama teacher, a smartass trouble maker, and a girl who just transferred from a private to public school. It took me an episode to finally realize that one actor plays all 3 characters, all of whom are fucking crrrraaazy haha. The show was basically a satire of all the typical stereotypes (albeit way exaggerated in the show) that we have in high school; I was told that it’s representative of Aussie humor in that people are very sarcastic and poke fun indiscriminately. I am soooo downloading it when I get back to the USofA; think Arrested Development + 30 Rock + a little bit of Mean Girls?

Yay, beach time! We were separated into 3 groups so that we wouldn’t overcrowd the waves and crash into each other, a strategy that didn’t work out so well but that’s okay! The water was actually pretty freaking cold so we got wet suits, thank god. I must say that putting on a still-wet wet suit is one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do. Every inch was painstaking, and I was too short for it so I had bunches of fabric around my tummy and had to roll up the legs. I looked like a black-blue spandex version of the Pillsbury Doughboy. What what, who’s a total sexass?

The first time I managed to actually balance on the board was such an awesome feeling. It was like boogie boarding but way faster because you’re actually riding the wave and can steer around obstacles if necessary. The success was all the fun had. The failure was pretty much everything else :). I'm fairly certain that even if I try this again, I won't get much better. Surfing requires some semblance of grace, timing, and balance. I, unfortunately, cannot manage any, let alone all, of those qualities for extended periods of time. It's okay though cuz I accepted it long ago. So after an exhausting day of mastering falling and closing one's mouth before swallowing gallons of sea water, I watched Crocodile Dundee on the way back to the Uni. As a first time watcher, it was somewhat entertaining. The little kid was the best though; I find it so weird when kids have accents, they sound so serious and mature haha.

blah blah blah shower, dinner, and night time!

Hosts took us to two bars. First, we went to Rooftop. ahahahha I almost didn't make it up thereeee. The bar Rooftop is coincidentally on a rooftop! Gasp, surprise, no way! We climbed up at least 10 flights of stairs. Worth it? Um, hell fucking yea-uhhh. It was so beautiful at night just being up there and seeing all the buildings lit up and watching the energy of the city. Bad part = d-d-d-damn SO EXPENSIVE. Holy crap a Long Island was $19! Yeah so didn't drink anything there, but the atmosphere was enough. I'll just make a note of it to go there already drunky face :). The best part was that half of the rooftop was covered in astroturf. There are some table with umbrellas, but if you're lucky, you can snag some massive beanbags and just lounge on them with your drink. Fun fun funnnn, I'm just sad I didn't take enough pictures to show what it really looked like. I'm trying not to draw attention to the fact that I am such a tourist :P.

No comments:

Post a Comment