Saturday, February 7, 2009

First Post!

SO, this blog took freaking forever to set up. I don't know why I had so much trouble; I'm going to blame it on my indecisiveness and utter inability to color coordinate (yes, Jenica, you may decorate my room next year). Alas, I found this template and COULD NOT HELP MYSELF. I might change my blog to something a little less adorable ridiculous when I'm actually in Australia and frolicking along the beach. Maybe.

Anyways! I'm sitting at home right now in bum attire playing Scrabble on my new Nintendo DS (wooh I'm such a gamer girl) while simultaneously contemplating how much cash I should exchange when I get to the airport and where I'm likely to find the best rates. Talk about stretching my mind, right!? In between playing my words "expo" and "triage," I've decided that I'm gonna buy the necessary bond payables at the airport and then open up an account there after I've settled in...? and then use a credit card as much as possible? How is everyone else doing this?!? Whatever! I'll figure it out during my 20+ hours of traveling on Feb 11th. Yes, you read right! Only 5 more days!!!!!!!!

I think Dan's the only one besides me who hasn't left for Study Abroad yet. Late-goers unite! Although I love Cali, I am going stir-crazy, forrealz. I feel as if I've been waiting so long that it doesn't seem like it's happening anymore! Oh btdubs, I've been reading everyone's blogs (mostly!) and ya'll are writing in complete sentences with pretty imagery and big words and WELL, this blog just might end up degenerating into AIM/internet speak. SORRY. I feel like everyone's blog is keeping track of his/her own journey of spiritual enlightenment, and mine's going to be like: "So I was trying to get to the supermarket and got lost. Again. How do trams work? WHAT DOES 'DINKUM' MEAN?" + other incoherent rambling.

I think to prevent that from happening I should make a to-do/goals list. Right now, if I'm being truly honest...I have to say that first of all, I just really want to see kangaroos and koalas and platypuses (sp?). I mean, koalas because they remind me of a furry midget old man b/c they eat/chew slowly and have these kinda squinty eyes AND OKAY SORRY RAMBLING; playtpuses because they are awkward just like me HEE :) ; and kangaroos because if you really look at pics of them, they are SO WEIRD -- their faces remind me of deer, they have skinny forearms and then huge feet (?) that could knock you out, and there's this hardcore tail that reminds me of a DINOSAUR tail. Cute, but deadly. What kind of American touristy student would I be if I didn't see them!?

On a more serious note, I would like to push myself some more this semester. Most people already know that I'm not quite that adventurous of a person (AHHA, understatement), so I'm going to try to change that. I especially want to go to "events" or something throughout the week and especially during the weekends: music/art festivals, museums, pubs, clubs, or maybe just quirky little cafes. I've never been one to ooh and ahh while visiting historical sites or monuments. I know I know, I can hear my AP History teachers weeping, but I'm more interested in just exploring the local Aussie's everyday atmosphere and lifestyle. So hopefully, I'll open myself up to having more adventures and at least tiptoe on the wild side :).

ALSO, I want to make friends! My shyness has a pesky way of recurring during the most inopportune moments. BUT! I'm participating in a Melbourne Welcome program in which many of the international students get to Oz a week early and are taken on tours/intros of the area. I think it'll definitely be beneficial for me to get my bearings and assimilate a little before classes start. We'll see how things go!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I'm stalking you already! Haha. Good job on your first post.

    Ostriches are similar to kangaroos in that they both are kind of DINOSAUR-y.

    WOOHOO, 5 DAYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I like that the title of your post is really "testing testing bitches blarghdie blrag." Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you! Wow, it made me miss you to read your blog! You sound, well, like you :-) I know what you mean about stir crazy, but that's probably a good thing--we have so much time to think about going abroad that by the time it finally happens, we're ready to dive in. Hope your travel isn't too awful, and blog again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete